Master of Sustainable Construction Management
This programme also enables graduates to be well equipped with the sustainable concept in construction management. This programme will address the demand for stakeholder and professionals who may require experts in planning and managing the development projects to achieve the goal of sustainable development. Thus, in line with the national policy which is transforming to achieve sustainable development, the demand for project manager who is well equipped with sustainable knowledge is expected to escalate in the coming years.
Programme Educational Objectives
PEO 1: Graduates will be able to demonstrate strong communication, team, leadership and interpersonal skills, as well as analytical and critical thinking skills to solve problems in sustainable ways by applying knowledge, principles and skills in sustainable construction management
PEO 2: Graduates will deliver thorough understanding on construction requirements and limitations and have the ability to plan and manage relevant resources and knowledge to enhance organisational performance
PEO 3: Graduates will possess high awareness on safety issues during construction and legal principles in the construction industry.
PEO 4: Graduates will be competent in practicing sustainable development in the construction industry.
PEO 5: Graduates will be able to apply knowledge and skills on relevant areas such as managerial, economics and sustainability issues for lifelong learning, research and career development
Programme Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the programme, students should be able to:
1. Present and analyse the sustainability issue in construction, engineering and science .
2. Participate in design, development and implementation of a construction project and adopt the best practice towards achieving sustainable development.
3. Make accurate decisions and resolve problems through scientific and social science research methodology.
4. Evaluate the feasibility of various technologies and resources to resolve problems during construction.
5. Prepare, handle and manage proper documentation for construction projects.
6. Practice and inculcate others on safety and health practices on site during construction.
7. Appraise and apply ethical and legal principles within a complex built environment .
8 Apply skills and principles of lifelong learning in academic, research and career development.
9. Apply effective soft skills of communication, teamwork and leadership with peers, clients, superiors and society at large
Total 40 credit hours
Total 7 core courses, 3 elective courses (30 credit hours) + Project (10 credit hours)
Minimum Entry Requirements
1. A Bachelor’s Degree with Honours and CGPA of 2.50 and above or a Bachelor’s Degree with CGPA of 2.50 and above, in a related field from UTAR; or
2. A Bachelor’s Degree with Honours and CGPA of 2.00 and above but less than 2.50 or a Bachelor’s Degree with CGPA of 2.00 and above but less than 2.50, in a related field from UTAR and show evidence of at least five (5) years of relevant working experience; or
3. Any other academic qualifications equivalent to (a) or (b) from another recognised University/Institution, as approved by the Senate
The graduates can become:
Consultants for the environmental engineering industries
2. Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) Consultant
3. Senior/staff/higher management technical career path in the environmental treatment related industries.
4. Officers in national/international environmental related agencies.
5. Academician in college, university or other academic institutes.